C optimizer

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri Mar 10 00:28:01 AEST 1989

Our old Heneywell system had a FORTRAN optimizer which would pass over
the source code and emit restructured source code with global
optimizations performed. The main thing it did was pull things out of
loops, I believe, but I haven't used it in ten years or so.

Question: has anyone done a similar thing for C? It seems like a
reasonable thing to do, given all of the non-optimizing and peephole
optimizing compilers in the world.

Yes, I know you can do a better job with a builtin optimizer in the
compiler, that's NOT the question.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)