Mailer Sources

John Luke Mills Mills at bco-multics.hbi.honeywell.com
Wed Mar 1 05:39:01 AEST 1989

I need to bring up a mailer that can handle multiple delivery methods,
i.e.  uucp, SMTP over TCP, maybe SMTP over leased lines.  I am running
System V Rel 2.2 Version 4, on a Bull XPS-100, (a 68000 based box).  My
TCP service is provided using BSD sockets.  The XPS is directly
connected to an ethernet.  In the near future we intend to connect this
XPS to uunet and in the distant future to connect the LAN to either
CSNet or NearNet.

It seems my main choices of mailer are Sendmail and MMDF.  I am
uncertain that MMDF is appropriate or where to get it.  From what I have
read so far, Sendmail sounds more versatile than MMDF.  Unless I hear
some good arguments against Sendmail, it is what I will use.  I already
have the straight BSD Sendmail, but I am hoping there is already a
System V version that uses BSD sockets for TCP.  Am I dreaming, or where
can I get such a version of Sendmail?

Wishfully asking, John Luke Mills

P.S.  How does Smail fit into all of this?  It seems to be uucp only,
but I don't understand the relationship yet.