Implications of large memory systems

John F Carr jfc at athena.mit.edu
Wed Mar 29 09:06:48 AEST 1989

In article <13433 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>If the machine is a
>workstation rather than being used for timesharing (many schools try to
>put 32 users on an 8MB Sun), the total memory in use is probably 4-12MB.
>Do most users need that in a workstation?

Yes.  At the moment, I am using about 27 Meg of virtual memory split between
two workstations (4M & 6M RAM; 16 M swap).  Processes:

   Saber C (a C interpreter running under X):   ~7   M
   Emacs + subprocesses                          2.5 M
   2 large computational programs                2   M
   4 pairs of (xterm+csh)                        1.1 M
   X Server                                       .7 M
   rrn+Pnews                                      .5 M
   random small utilities, subshells

   (plus kernel & system processes)

That is the static load; I also run compilers, the program I am working on,
read mail, write files, etc...

I find I can't fit all the programs I want to run into 16MB.  I _don't_
have access to a large, fast machine for computation.  Instead, I use X
windows to run two workstations from a single display, and accept that
overhead.

--
   John Carr             "When they turn the pages of history,
   jfc at Athena.mit.edu     When these days have passed long ago,