Future at Berzerkeley

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Mar 8 04:57:40 AEST 1989

  Is there a future for BSD? Ignoring the issue of when new releases
will be available, I get the impression that virtually all of the
hardware vendors have joined OSF or UNIX International. Since both of
these systems will be SysV based, will there be a demand for BSD in
three years? Five?

  With commercial sites going to SysV based releases I predict that more
software will be coming out using the SysV features, both in commercial
and public domain. The only vendor with a BSD committment seems to be
DEC. The last statement I saw from them was Ken Olsen saying something
like "we support portable standards, we support OSF, and we're going to
continue to offer Ultrix and support our customers."

  Information or rational comments desired.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)