C bug causes double panic

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sat Mar 25 00:22:48 AEST 1989

In article <2863 at daisy.UUCP>, david at daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) writes:
> [the 80286] is a lot better than the PDP-11, which is what the chip was
> modelled after...

Right. A chip with a random instruction set, weird adressing modes and
restrictions, and no general-purpose registers was modelled on the PDP-11,
with an orthogonal instruction set and addressing modes, and 6 general
purpose registers.

> Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Intel or its competitors.  The
> success or failure of the 286 is not related to my success or failure.  Un-
> warranted attacks on computer architectures offends me.

So why make one?

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.