uucp hangs frequently with pkcget timeout errors...

Jacob Parnas jparnas at larouch.watson.ibm.com
Sat Mar 25 23:02:40 AEST 1989

I've been having frequent problems with uucp between two RT model 130s running
4.3 BSD AOS/ACIS unix.  Things seem to go normally for some random time (from
a few seconds to several minutes.  Sometimes several files are transmitted
without a problem.  Then, the debug output says pkcget 4001 followed by
pkcget 6001, etc.. until it give up after about ten timeouts of increasing
time intervals.  I'm running the December release of AOS 4.3 BSD, so data is
sometimes lost or garbled, but I don't think that the asynch has totally dies
when I've been doing this.

I'm using two Microcom QX/V.32c modems and this seems to happen at all speeds
over 2400 baud.  I'm using pretty much standard 4.3 BSD uucp.

If anyone has any idea of what's going wrong, I'd appreciate it if you could
drop me a note at one of the addresses below.

Also, I'm wondering if uucp can deal with many character losses by resynching
itself.

Thanks for any help,

Jacob Parnas
jparnas at ibm.com