Ultrix/32 & VMS

David Collier-Brown daveb at geaclib.UUCP
Sun Mar 5 10:09:36 AEST 1989

| From: senetza%vp.uleth.adhocnet.ca%UNCAEDU.BITNET at cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
| So, has anyone linked Ultrix/32 and VMS and had any problems that we, as
| possible buyers, should be aware of?  Any suggestions, hints, etc. that might
| be relevant?  Enquiring minds wanna know...
|
| Leonard Senetza   <senetza%vp.uleth.adhocnet at UNCAEDU.BITnet>

>From article <18496 at adm.BRL.MIL>, by drs at bnlux0.bnl.gov (David R. Stampf):
|  	Actually file formats are the least of your problems (although it is
|  a BIG problem!).  If you are porting code from unix to vms beware of
|
|  	1) signals - there simply aren't that many on vms
|  	2) ioctl -   simply isn't there
|  	3) fork -    works differently
|  	4) select -  ain't there either.
|  	5) #includes - the directory names don't work without some work on
|  			your part to define some alises.
[...]
|  This isn't a flame at vms (well kindof) its just that vms and unix are
|  different.  A lot of this comes from an attempt to port some code from unix
|  to vms and hitting a lot of nasty roadblocks.

Well, I won't claim to have much use for VMS, but several classes of programs
can be ported usefully.

  The obvious ones (If you've read my signature), are interactive editor-like
programs, like word processors and cad-cam programs. The hard part is dealing
with system-level facilities: the massive front ends you have to create to
do on-screen interactive stuff dominate the effort (:-))

--dave

 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |
 1550 Enterprise Rd.   | He's so smart he's dumb.
 Mississauga, Ontario  |       --Joyce C-B