How to predict size of outcome of vsprintf?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Mar 22 19:35:02 AEST 1989

In article <28874 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>The [limiting problem] could be solved completely transparently by adding
>a format effector which indicated the maximum buffer size ("must come
>first!") Such as using %n# as in:

`#' is out; it is a flag (meaning `alternate output format' and used
by o, x, and e f and g conversions).  But aesthetically speaking, it
seems to me that this is almost as bad as the `%n' format.  (Well,
maybe half as bad.)  I would prefer snprintf() and/or msprintf().