Using sigvec & sigcontext

Pekka Sarnila sarnila at tukki.jyu.fi
Wed Mar 22 22:34:50 AEST 1989

In article <9358 at cslb.CSL.SRI.COM> aida at csl.sri.com (Hitoshi Aida) writes:
>In article <331 at h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dymm at b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) writes:
>>Can I use it to explicitly restore the context to return where I
>>was before the signal?
>In general, no.  You should do a simulated "return from the interrupt"
>>If so, then I should be able to store it somewhere for later use,
>>then use it at some time in the future to go back to where I was
>>before the signal occurred.  Does this make sense?
>No.  The sigcontext points to a position in the stack which will no longer

Sorry if this off the line but I didn't see the original posting.
What actually are you trying to do before continuing from the point where
signal took place that you can't do from the signal handler? Are you
intending to return twice or what? Maybe you could use a fork-wait
within the handler, let the child return from handler and after you're
done with what you wanted, let the child exit, and the original
handler will return.
Pekka Sarnila,  University of Jyvaskyla Finland
sarnila at tukki.jyu.fi