Future at Berzerkeley

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Sun Mar 19 14:52:00 AEST 1989

In article <28819 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>4. Is the Unix file system, unenhanced, the right view for personal
>workstations with a few GB of disk? I would claim that the MacOS file
>system view has collapsed as an abstraction with the popularity of
>300MB or larger disks, as cute as it was with a few files. Is there a
>similar threshold for the Unix system? It's 10PM, do you know where
>your sources are?

Well put.  I'd just like to clarify my misgivings about the simple-tree
directory system:  it's too hard to find what you put down when you
were drunk, or six weeks ago, or...well...

Some sort of cross-referencing, indexing, dewey-decimal systematization,
etc., would be exceptionally helpful.

Having a README in the directories that collect cryptically-named files
just doesn't cut it.  At the moment I'm personally responsible for
around three thousand files on the four largest machines I use (and
please don't ask how many bytes that is...there are some things better
left uninvestigated...:-S), few of them interrelated.  You'd think I would
have seen it coming.

Any good ideas?

				--Blair
				  "Better living through the sheer