Future at Berzerkeley

Scott Schwartz schwartz at shire.cs.psu.edu
Sun Mar 26 16:56:35 AEST 1989

In article <13428 at steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen at steinmetz (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>Will there still be a need for BSD or mach among the
>people who don't do kernel research? If the commercail vendors go with
>SysV, as it seems they will, will universities find it easier to get
>fund$ for research on what vendors are selling and the government is
>buying? I'm looking for good reasons other than kernel research, and I
>don't think you need a totally new kernel to do that.

How about source availability at reasonable cost?  Lots of people want
it very badly. Currently, of course BSD requires a licence from AT&T,
but aren't they planning on removing all AT&T code from the system?
In that case, I'd say that continuing BSD development is essential!
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz at shire.cs.psu.edu>