Sun Shutdown(8)

gast at lanai.cs.ucla.edu gast at lanai.cs.ucla.edu
Sat Mar 11 13:23:48 AEST 1989

What is with this program?  It sends out too many messages.  It is
impossible to get any work done in the 5 or 10 minutes before a
machine goes down because every terminal is messed up by these
messages.

This problem is particularly annoying if one is running X windows,
then the messages come to all the windows and not just one.  Each
window has to be fixed.

I fail to see why we must get so many messages.  In particular, I
object to receiving two or three messages in the span of a minute,
telling me something like ``unused_host going down in 3 minutes.''

Our sys admins say they can do nothing about this problem because
of the way Sun wrote the program.  Is this really true?  Isn't
there some undocumented option they can specify that will be less
verbose?

Thanks for your consideration.

David Gast
gast at cs.ucla.edu
{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!{ucla-cs,cs.ucla.edu}!gast