postscript files printing from sun

Tom Corsetti tomc at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Mar 11 06:46:11 AEST 1989

Hi!
We have a Sun 3/260 hooked up to an apple lazer printer.
Normally, to print an ascii text file, lpr does all the filtering
via printcap options to get the print file in a suitable form
for the apple lazer printer.  When I have a file that is already
in postscript form, i cat it to the device (/dev/ttya) rather than
go through lpr which will try to put a postscript file into
postscript.  This will work for some postscript files, but not all.
Upon further investigation doing an "od -a postscript.file", the
ones that will print begin with [ 0 sp 0 sp 0 sp 0 sp 0 sp 0 ] ,
while the postscript files beginning with %! won't print no matter
how I try it (lpr, cat).  Does anyone out there have more info on
postscript file formats for suns, apples, or know how to get these
things to print?  If you do, I'd like to hear from you!  Thanks in
advance.
                                                  - Tom

  Tom Corsetti                 * * * *   internet - tomc at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov
  NASA/Goddard Space Flt Ctr    * * *    decnet   - dftnic::tomc
  Greenbelt Maryland           * * * *   bitnet   - tomc at dftbit