Problem with 'lp' on a Convergent micro

Stan Friesen sarima at gryphon.COM
Fri Mar 3 09:28:56 AEST 1989

	We are having another, rather strange, intermittent problem.
We are running UNIX System V release 2 on Convergent's 68020 based
supermicros.  Every once in a long while the line printer spooler
gets into a really strange state.  It seems to get the idea that there
are two printers with the same logical name!  This usually eventually
results in the printer stopping even though there are jobs queued for
output.  The other main symptom is that 'lpstat -a' reports two printers
are "accepting requests" and has two printers available for output, one
of which is usually enable and the other disabled.  Unfortunately both
printers have the same name and only rebooting the system seems to clear
the problem up.

	Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  I cannot find
anything on the system which would explain the confusion, and I have not
been able to determine what triggers it.  Any help in avoiding or fixing
the problem would be appreciated.

--
Sarima Cardolandion			sarima at gryphon.CTS.COM
aka Stanley Friesen			rutgers!marque!gryphon!sarima