A book on the design of the UNIX operating system

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Sun Mar 12 18:04:16 AEST 1989

In article <4470011 at hpindda.HP.COM> marcel at hpindda.HP.COM (Marcel Burlet) writes:
>zavras at cleo.cs.wisc.edu (Alexios Zavras) /  8:28 pm  Mar  7, 1989 / writes:
>
>Still available as of last night (Thursday 3/9) at Computer Literacy
>in San Jose. $35.95 plus tax and/or shipping.  They'll ship anywhere.
>(408) 435-1118. 2590 N 1st Street, San Jose, CA 95132

This may be a silly question, but do they mayhaps have a net-address
and a catalog?  Believe it or not, I don't trust _any_ so called
"technical bookstore" in this area to have all the stuff I might want.

Ob. Incantation_Request:
Umax (on the parallel-cpu'ed Encore Multimax) uses the PARALLEL
environment variable in only three commands:  grep(1), apply(1), and
make(1).  Is this because it's not economical to go looking for a
default level of permissible paralleleism?  Is this because nobody pays
much attention to underutilized computer power?  (a processor-second is
a terrible thing to waste :)

I'll go ask this in comp.parallel and comp.sys.encore, too, but I also
would like the insight of the usual gang of presti-digit-ators.

				--Blair
				  "With apologies to the memory
				   of the dearly departed,
				   Adolph Caesar..."