Sed wins! It IS possible to strip C comments with 1 sed command!

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Mar 22 13:07:34 AEST 1989

In article <2164 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith)
writes:
>THIS [sed script] must be the method EVERYONE uses to strip comments from
>every C program I have ever seen in the public domain or from Berkeley/
>DEC/Sun/etc... ...  There must be either a conspiracy against, or a
>primeval fear of including comments in C programs.

This accusation is mostly unfounded, but there is at least one known
case of someone at Berkeley removing comments someone else at Berkeley
had added.  No doubt I am unaware of various reasons for each of these
actions....

Anyway, we have already had the `how much commenting is proper' war
in comp.lang.misc or comp.misc.