Making rm undoable

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Sat Mar 25 04:05:47 AEST 1989

In article <7360 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bernsten at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>If UNIX were the type of system where version numbering were possible
>(oops, I mean common, really I do) then the problem of file deletion
>would be trivial. But version numbering is not possible (oops, common)
>in UNIX.

It's not common, but it has been done.

Dave Korn and/or I are going to present a paper called "The 3-D File System"
at the next summer Usenix conference in Baltimore. If you listen to
the presentation or read the paper in the proceedings, I think you'll
realize it adds version numbering and more to the Unix file system.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com