C bug causes double panic

David Schachter david at daisy.UUCP
Sat Mar 25 05:00:33 AEST 1989

ken at gatech.edu takes issue with my claim that the 80286 was modelled after
the PDP-11.  My sources are one of the microcoders for the chip, one of
the layout engineers for the chip, the manager of the 80186 design team,
and a general purpose Intel guru, who worked on various 80x86 family chips
and is now a production manager on an 80386 fab line in a city whose name
I can't possibly spell, in the South West of the U.S.A.

So, Ken, maybe they didn't do such a good job of imitation, but the PDP-11
was the source.  The 80286 segmentation scheme is certainly better than the
PDP-11.  But the -11 clearly wins in register availability.

I suspect further discussion should be moved to comp.arch or e-mail.  I'll
attempt to change the followup line accordingly.