Ultrix/32 & VMS

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.dec.com
Thu Mar 2 13:12:25 AEST 1989

Just to fill in a few blanks.

VMS and ULTRIX both run on the VAXstation3100.  The VAXstation3100 is a VAX.
See?  That's why we didn't call it the FREDstation3100 (my choice) :-).
(The DECstation3100 is the RISC machine, ULTRIX-only.)

VAX/C runs on both ULTRIX and VMS.  As does VAX/Fortran.  That helps with
portability as well as the fact that both are built on industry standard
specifications.

Typically what I've seen people do is have the VAXstation be part of
a LAVc when it runs VMS, and have a local disk to run ULTRIX in its ULTRIX
live (or be diskless and boot off of an ULTRIX machine -- this takes a trifle
more system administrator action).

Now, it would be really nice if there existed a porting guide.  You know
something that would say "Things to watch for between... sun/os and ultrix,
hp/ux and ultrix, vax/c on vms and vax/c on ultrix, pcc and vax/c, etc.
etc."  But you'd have to talk to your sales rep for something like that
anyway.

Hope this helps.

Fred (speaking as an ultrix user mostly and certainly not an official Digit)