uucp RLOGIN failure code

paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 24 06:30:00 AEST 1989

I use HDB on a 4.3 BSD-Tahoe machine and have seen the problem before.
If you do as we do and have a separate login for each site, e.g., Ufoo,
and a master login with the same uid to own the files, e.g., UUCP, you
must list both in the Permissions file for UUCP/TCP to work.  Example:

/etc/passwd:

UUCP:*:26:40:Unix to Unix Copy Program:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/bin/sh
Udcs:secret:26:40:DCS VAX A:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico

/usr/lib/uucp/Permissions:

LOGNAME=Udcs:UUCP VALIDATE=uiucdcs SENDFILES=yes \
READ=/tmp:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/local/src \
WRITE=/tmp:/usr/spool/uucppublic

Another upshot of the dbm format passwd file is that changing the password
for Udcs will make that first entry found with a getpwuid() call.  Thus the
files in /usr/lib/uucp will be owned by Udcs instead of UUCP.  The fix here
is to always re-change the UUCP password last after changing any other UUCP
login.
         Paul Pomes                                         "I'm the NRA!"

UUCP:     {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul     ICBM: 40 06 47 N / 88 13 35 W
Internet, BITNET: paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2987