shell file descriptor programming (was: Unlinked temp files)

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Wed May 10 05:08:08 AEST 1989

> P.S. Don't try lseek(0, -1L, 0) from your login shell
>      (but you will...).

You're right; I did, and as near as I can tell, it was a total no-op.
Was it supposed to do something interesting and/or amusing?  Does it
do something on some systems?  I'd expect it to just return -1, which
is what it did.

This is a reasonably generic Sys/V.2 system, BTW.

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]