What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

news news at sun.Eng.Sun.COM
Thu May 25 08:36:30 AEST 1989

In article <10317 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <106326 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> bitbug (James Buster) writes:
>>What kinds of things should be in the GNU Kernel?
>
>Why do you ask?  Will this actually have an effect on the GNU kernel?

I was talking to John Gilmore (gnu at toad.com) about the GNU kernel,
and he suggested I try starting a discussion on comp.unix.wizards
about features and design of the GNU kernel. I probably should have
specifically said this.

>My opinion is that the GNU kernel should either provide an exact
>duplicate of a standard UNIX system interface, preferably SVR4,
>or it should be a quantum leap forward in OS design.  The latter
>will not be achieved by piling "features" into it.

I agree that creeping featurism is not the way to go. I had intended
that those features be starting points of discussion about their
desirability and design, i.e., "I do/don't like this, and here's why,
and here's my idea for something better". Since GNU is not constrained
by compatibility with existing source code, I would hope that the
"quantum leap" would be the way to go. I certainly think that a
redesign can be done without sacrificing source code compatibility.

By the way, what do you think about my idea for kernel design?
Please flame away (and maybe say something nice, too).

	     James Buster
	Mad Hacker Extraordinaire
	 bitbug at lonewolf.sun.com