Ugly file name

John E Van Deusen III jiii at visdc.UUCP
Sun May 14 06:07:41 AEST 1989

In article <12970 at ut-emx.UUCP> dlnash at ut-emx.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) writes:

> It is the shells, which assign special meanings to certain characters,
> which are the root of the problem.  I always thought that some
> combination of backslashes, single quotes, and double quotes would
> convince a shell to allow any character (other than control characters)
> in a filename ...

When your back is up against the wall, the following construct can be
used to replace any argument and will allow you to do anything you want:

	"`echo '\xxx\xxx\xxx\c'`"

where xxx is any octal number.
--
John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii