What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Glenn Fowler[drew] gsf at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Sat May 27 00:26:58 AEST 1989

In article <7439 at bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> I suggest finding a better syntax for root than "/".  It can lead to
> filenames containing // and it takes special case code [note 1] to
> handle such filenames.  And some systems want // to mean something
> special.

I suggest finding a better name for network root than "//".  We already
have a consistent name space, why complicate it with new syntax.  A
compatible name for network files could be "/n/machine/goop"
(not my invention, used in V9).  Better yet, this allows machine hops
without the ambiguities introduced by special leading character syntax:
"/n/bambi/n/thumper/goop" vs. "//bambi//thumper/goop".
--
Glenn Fowler    (201)-582-2195    AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
uucp: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!gsf       internet: gsf at ulysses.att.com