What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri May 26 03:17:28 AEST 1989

In article <106584 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> bitbug at lonewolf.sun.com (James Buster) writes:
>By the way, what do you think about my idea for kernel design?

Which idea was that?  If it was to keep the actual kernel as minimal
as possible, I don't think anyone could have conceptual disagreement
with that.  However, one has to be careful not to force gross
inefficiency by doing too little in the kernel.  An example of this
is the user-mode XT protocol and multiplexing via ptys typically
done on BSD-based systems to support 5620/630-class ("Blit-like")
terminals; the context switch overhead is horrendous.