getcwd() and friends.

T. William Wells bill at twwells.uucp
Mon May 1 00:38:57 AEST 1989

In article <4523 at psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> schwartz at shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
: I think we need a good dose of Multics: Reading the time should be
: equivalent to accessing an object in virtual memory.  In fact, the
: whole operating system system should behave like that, filesystem,
: system calls, and so on.

Ack, NO! All we need is one rogue pointer and almost ANYTHING can
happen!

That notion is attractive, but the separation produced by having
system calls means that a much smaller class of errors is likely to
do random things to your operating environment.

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill