What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Greg Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Sat May 27 08:49:24 AEST 1989

In article <7439 at bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> I suggest finding a better syntax for root than "/".  It can lead to
> filenames containing // and it takes special case code [note 1] to
> handle such filenames.  And some systems want // to mean something
> special.
> [....]
> Note 1.  UNIX handles // by assuming that there is a null filename
> component between the two slashes.  Unfortunately this allows legal
> filenames like /bin//cat and even /bin//////cat which, if a program is
> trying to parse pathanmes, is painful.

First, null directory components in pathnames are extremely easy
to parse, and are a desirable feature.  Second, a leading '//'
with a special meaning is a tremendous KLUDGE!  It's even worse
than "machine_A:/"!

I HOPE to see future distributed filesystems become (remain :-)
completely transparent ala RFS.  You should be able to mount any
(advertised) directory from any machine on the network anywhere
into your local filesystem hierarchy.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{{utgpu,eci386,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario CANADA