is this wise?

Rick Adams rick at uunet.UU.NET
Sat May 6 08:25:12 AEST 1989

> wrong with the open() call we have already?

tcp_open() isn't a system call. It's a user level abstraction that
does what you want (i.e. a simpler interface to getting a tcp
socket).

You don't use the open() call because it doesnt fit well conceptually.
Why not force EVERYTHING to use open().

I can see it now:

	getpwuid(213) becomes open("/dev/password/213")
	gettimeofday() becomes open("/dev/clock")
	etc.

By your argument, we change everything to use open. (And if you
think the kernel is big now, wait until you move most of the
userlevel networking code into it)

--rick