make wars (was Bugs in the AT&T Toolchest program 'nmake')

Ozan Yigit oz at yunexus.UUCP
Tue May 23 04:54:12 AEST 1989

In article <24658 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mcgrath at homer.Berkeley.EDU (Roland McGrath) writes:
>If AT&T wanted me to be able to make a fair comparison, they ought to
>give me the manuals, and the product itself, to examine for free.
>It seems fair to me.

I really do not think AT&T gives a zip about you making a fair comparison,
perhaps rightly so.  Nobody is obliged to buy anything from the toolchest,
just like nobody is obliged to run your incredibly whizzy superset-of-all
gnumake.

I happen to use MK, from toolchest, real cheap, compiled in a flash, works
like a charm. Yep, mk files are non-standard as well. In MY opinion, small
price to pay for the flexibity MK provides.

As for nmake documentation, see 1985 summer usenix proceedings for a paper
on this particular variant.

In general, this "make wars" is very boring (To quote: my make is better
than yours nyah nyah !!), because one can have their "Cake", "Pmake",
"Parmake", "Cmake", "mk", "gnumake", or various "enhanced" versions of
make (done eons ago, using cpp, m4 etc. see 1983 Toronto proceedings) or
simply the good old ordinary make and still get useful work done.

Oh, what was it you were saying about this interesting and neat program
you invented called something-or-other-make ?? :-|

oz
DEC-SI Suit: If Ford or GM had		Usenet:    oz at nexus.yorku.ca
patents on the way a tire is mounted    ......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz
on an axle, we'd all be a lot poorer	Bitnet: oz@[yulibra|yuyetti]
right now.             [Mike Vizard]	Phonet: +1 416 736-5257x3976