Another Sendmail security problem

Felix Lee flee at shire.cs.psu.edu
Mon May 1 14:46:43 AEST 1989

In article <28974 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>,
   haynes at ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:
>or maybe it depends on some bug that is more probable when the system is
>heavily loaded.

Our Sun4 is hardly ever heavily loaded.  It may be that when your
machine is heavily loaded sendmail queues "|program" recipients, as
our Sun does.  "|program" recipients in the queue lose the original
recipient information, and thus get run by arbitrary uids.

Tomorrow I will try to tweak sendmail on our Vax to reproduce the
problem.
--
Felix Lee	flee at shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!shire!flee