malloc: not enough core

Montana State mtsu at blake.acs.washington.edu
Thu May 4 09:29:22 AEST 1989

In article <925 at marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce at Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
>In article <170 at larry.sal.wisc.edu> jwp at larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>>We have seen this while running the News expire program, as
>>well as when running a large data analysis program.  What's the
>>deal here?  How can a virtual memory machine deny memory to
>>the puny df(1) program?
>
>It's often important (or at least reasonable) for the OS to expect
>there to be enough swap space when a program is running.  What would
>happen if df was running and the os needed to swap it out to run
>something else?  Would you rather df just keep running while your
>network drops packets and fails to update the filesystems?

This  is a good point, but what I would like to know is why df needs so much
core to run in.  While df is blowing up with not enough core, ps, top, and
lisp can all fire up and run.  I did a ps on a df that was stuck waiting
for an NFS server, and it showed an size of 1034K of memory.  What does
it need all of this space for??

Jaye Mathisen
icsu6000 at caesar.cs.montana.edu