V, MACH and other multi-unix implementations

Robert Cousins rec at dg.dg.com
Wed May 3 06:04:50 AEST 1989

In article <19403 at adm.BRL.MIL> RUSOFFMH at ctrvx1.vanderbilt.edu writes:

>I have been looking into operating systems that might be suitable for
>implementation on a bunch of transputers that *do* have shared memory...
>It seems like the best choices might be a variation on MACH or
>perhaps V or maybe even AMOEBA, . . . .  I am looking for small and
>fast and modular... could anyone out there render an opinion... ?
>. . . .
>I would appreciate any comments...
>Thanx in advance...
>Martin H. Rusoff
>Dept. of C.S.
>Vanderbilt Univ.
>also
>(615)329-8908
>#12, 2905 Burch Ave, Nashville TN, 37203
>Usual disclaimers... I didn't hear anything, did you?

DG/UX is available for licensure and supports most if not all of the
hooks you need.  It is SysV.3 compliant, supports all of the BSD 4.3 calls
but the quota management calls.  Furthermore, it is multiprocessor designed
from scratch and includes approximately no AT&T or BSD code in the kernel.

It does support NFS and an industrial strength file system similar in
concept and performance to the FFS, but redesigned for much greater
dependability and generality along with support for commercial applications.

Currently, DG/UX runs on DG proprietary minicomputers and on the 88000
based products.  There are both single and multiprocessor products in
both lines.  The same version of the kernel is used for both single and
multiprocessors.

Last Feb, DG began to license DG/UX to other companies.  I don't personally
know how many people have taken DG up on the offer, but I do know that there
were a large number of inquiries immediately after that.  If you are
interested, just call your local DG office and they can set up the necessary
contacts.

Sorry for turning this into a commercial, but it seems like the
product you need.

Robert Cousins
Dept. Mgr, Workstation Dev't
Data General Corp