What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

David C. Rein dave at mobile.UUCP
Sun May 28 01:59:58 AEST 1989

In article <1049 at snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM>, johnb at aconcagua (John R. Bashinski) writes:
> In article <106326 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> bitbug (James Buster) writes:
> >What kinds of features or design rationale should it use?
> [..stuff deleted..]
> Glimmerings of a structure: Privileges belong to threads of control; each
> thread has a privilege list. A privilege is represented by a unique
> identifer, which subsumes the functions of both UNIX UIDs and GIDs.
[..stuff deleted..]
> attributes can be modified by the thread, others can't. A reference
> monitor gets called by whatever implements a file/object to examine
> opens, closes, reads, writes, and control operations. The reference monitor
> is allowed to issue a capability identifier of some kind at object open,
> and can restrict how that capability can be delegated.  Whenever an operation
> is attempted on the opened object, the object implementation passes the same
> capability to the reference monitor as part of the information about the
> operation. It may choose to revoke a capability at any time.
>
> Issues: When you open a "file", does the object at the other end get your
> privileges by default? Can you change the default? What code is allowed
> to issue privileges?
> [..more stuff deleted]

A possible solution to this problem could be similar to that of Intel's
idea of 'conforming and non-conforming' segments.  When the 'object at
the other end initializes itself, it can also declare weather its a
conforming or non-conforming object.  So, when you open a "file", depending
on the initialization of the object at the other end would decide the
privileges.  Perhaps the reference monitor can even let some users' process
force non-conforming (so run at the high privileges) determined by the
users' profile.  Since an object could be analagous to a device driver, it
is a 'situation dependent' decision , and should be handled by the kernel
in a general fashion.

(I just started reading this newsgroup, so if this idea is old, or has been
	thrown around before, then sorry for the clutter...)
---
  Dave Rein
UUCP: ..!kodak!gizzmo!lazlo!mobile!dave
                    dcr0801 at ritcv