EDT Emulators?

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.ORG
Wed May 3 10:22:09 AEST 1989

As quoted from <2675 at buengc.BU.EDU> by bph at buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton):
+---------------
| In article <6682 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
| >I've heard of EDT emulation in gnuemacs, however I'd prefer to avoid the
| >considerable overhead if there is an alternative that is just EDT and not
| >the whole world in one bite.  8-)
|
| Anybody else believe it can be done with vi by setting the 'vs' entry
| in the termcap to turn the keypad into application-mode, then putting
| the proper map's in the .exrc to emulate EDT commands?
|
| 	map OS Di
|
| in the .exrc will, when the pf4 key (on a DEC keyboard, which is what
| EDT-fans are used to) is depressed, use the ^[ in the code emitted by pf4
| (to wit: ^[OS) to end-insert-mode, will then delete-to-end-of-line,
| then will place one back into insert-mode.
+---------------

Sure, but how long do you want to wait for vi to process non-gold-key
function key sequences?

I've tried this kind of stuff, and eventually return to Emacs for keybinding.
The frustration factor is too large for me.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery at ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>
NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 781-6201, 300/1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser