is this wise?

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Tue May 16 12:53:32 AEST 1989

In article <1989May6.133452.465 at light.uucp>, bvs at light.uucp (Bakul Shah) writes:
> In article <53862 at uunet.UU.NET> rick at uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
> > [...]
> >I can see it now:
> >
> >	gettimeofday() becomes open("/dev/clock")
>
> This is not as silly as it seems.  In fact it can open up some
> exciting possibilities.

Yeah, including the ability to make /dev/clock writable by a group, so that
you don't have to give the root password to everyone in your sys group.

Also, for some years, I've wondered why various kernel tables aren't files.
Rather than programs groveling around in /dev/kmem (and requiring them to
be setuid-root), wouldn't it be easier if they looked like:

crw-rw----   1 sys    sys    0, 37 Dec  6  1985 /dev/kernel/foo

Now no root permissions are needed to access this chunk of the kernel.
Given that Unix always has a device driver for accessing memory, think
of how easy it would be to add all the tables as minor devices...

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]