read(2) won't move TK50 past tape file mark

Jeffrey W Percival jwp at larry.sal.wisc.edu
Fri May 26 00:57:04 AEST 1989

In article <6975 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>	No, the bug is most likely that the Ultrix driver *is* playing
>	the sticky EOF game.  If the program closed/opened the input file
>	it would probably work fine, though the man pages imply this is
>	not necessary.

Just a reminder:  in my original posting I pointed out that we observe
*two* behaviors here:  the documented one AND the "sticky EOF" one.
Ultrix 3.0 and 2.2 on a VS2000 worked as TFM says, but the Ultrix 3.0
on two MVII's had a sticky EOF.

So the phrase "THE Ultrix driver" is not useful.

1. DEC has created both behaviors.  Is one acknowledged by them to be an error?

2. If one is an error, which one?

3. Is a fix in the works?

Enquiring minds want to know!

By the way: I discovered this by trying to read a VMS saveset tape,
which is a multi-file thing.  The vmsbackup program in the uunet
archives assumes the documented behavior of mtio(4).
--
Jeff Percival (jwp at larry.sal.wisc.edu)