is this wise?

Rick Adams rick at uunet.UU.NET
Tue May 9 01:33:08 AEST 1989

> In particular, Rick Adams's reductions to absurdity are
> quite close to things that the Plan 9 system (as opposed to
> Ninth Edition) actually does; as many of its abstractions
> as possible are mapped into the file system.

Do they really spend 3 system calls to get the clock time
(open,read,close) or do they have some other scheme?

It seems like a hell of a lot of work to find out something simple
like the time of day. (Or am I still stuck in the past when
performance mattered?)

How far does plan 9 take the clock as a file analogy? Do they
reset the clock if root does a seek on it?

What about things like getpid or getppid?

--rick