/etc/issue

Sam Vause vause at cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM
Thu May 18 06:39:39 AEST 1989

In article <222 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> stailey at iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) writes:
>In section 4 of every Sys V manual I have seen there is a very short manual
>page about the file "/etc/issue" and how it is printed as a login message by
>getty.
>
>Reproduced in part w.o./permission from AT&T:
>
>"The file /etc/issue contains the _issue_ or project identifcation to be
> printed as a login prompt.  This is an ASCII file which is read by [the]
> program _getty_ and then written to any terminal spawned or respawed from
> the _lines_ file."
>
>The trouble is it doesn't work as advertised, and there's no docs for the
>mysterious "lines" file.
>
>Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Well, you're right, in part.  The man page *IS* misleading to the casual or
unexperienced (read:  unsuffered!) UNIX user.  The mysterious "lines" file
is the /etc/inittab file.  The man page certainly could be better written...

BTW, the NCR TOWER doesn't have any problem with the advertised operation.
Perhaps there is a compile option to /etc/getty which precluded the display
of the /etc/issue contents...

|Sam Vause, NCR Corporation, Customer Services - TOWER Support	   |
|3325 Platt Springs Road, West Columbia, SC 29169 (803) 791-6953   |
|                                vause at cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM     |
|			 ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!cs-col!vause	   |
|		...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!cs-col!vause      |