HELP! How do I set timezone on a SUN???

thomas.j.roberts tjr at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Thu May 11 01:01:48 AEST 1989

I have just inherited a SUN 3/60 workstation, networked to a SUN 4 fileserver.
Unfortunately, the timezone is PDT, and I live in CDT. How can I change it??
	[On System V, setting the TZ variable works everywhere, here on the
	 SUN it only works in the date command.]
I have been unable to find it in any manuals, except for settimeofday(2);
do I really have to write my own C program to set the timezone???(!).

I have heard a rumor that I need to re-make the kernel. I could find no
mention of timezone in the "reconfigure the kernel" setcion of the
Administrator's manual.

There is a program called "setup", which is claimed to be useful to install
new software; might it also set the timezone? (I am afraid to start it
up without instructions).

"uname -a" gives:
	snuffy snuffy 4.2BSD vm sun
We have SUN release 3.5 manuals, and I assume the software is at least that
recent (but I forgot what it typed when it booted, and I cannot reboot without
canceling this posting, and cannot figure out how to get it to tell me its
version - sigh).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom Roberts
att!ihnet!tjr