setuid (euid) after setuid (uid) on System 5

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.icst.nbs.gov
Wed May 10 09:56:03 AEST 1989

? From: Doug Gwyn  <gwyn at smoke.brl.mil>
? Date: 24 Mar 89 14:45:30 GMT

? In article <1196 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
? >Both BSD and S5 flavors of "setuid" can be implemented atop "setreuid".

? I don't think the "saved set-UID" feature can be emulated using setreuid().
? Ron Natalie and I looked into this a few years ago and decided that a
? simple semantic extension to setreuid() could be made that would enable
? full emulation of saved set-UID, and that our extension would not cause
? any new security holes.  However, we never got around to it and I have
? since forgotten the details.  Maybe for 4.4BSD?

Have y'all suddenly become economists? :-)

Actually, none of this really matters. Saved set-UID's are merely
convenient. If root wants to do something as l'user, he can just
fork and give away his privilege. The parent is still privileged.

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?