Subdirectory listing

Ray E. Saddler III ray3rd at ssc-vax.UUCP
Thu May 25 02:13:38 AEST 1989

In article <11619 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) tells us:
#
# [many many bytes of flame-data deleted, except for his slam about
#  my contribution which causes him great pain: ]
#
# 9: Give this script a spin around the block
#

Jon, thanks for not providing my name to protect my guilt, you have
impeccable class!

#
#    [shell script that (get a load of this!) takes each directory
#    specified on the command line and runs "find <dir name> -type d
#    -exec ls -d {} \;" on it]
#

Heh!  Whatta maroon!  Can you beleive it?!

#
# Gee, it looks like you know about the find(1) command, but you're
# completely confused.... has it occurred to you that find takes
# multiple paths on the command line, or that the user asked for a
# recursive listing and your script will not list recursively?  I
# thought not.
#

Gee, Jon, you're right!  I *did* notice after posting, that I had a
misaligned head; I'm used to seeking a full 'ls' with full pathnames
in my find-on-the-fly usage of: find <dir> -exec ls -ldF {} \;

So, after realizing this, an attemt to 'C'ancel using readnews was
done, but I was told by the readnews software that I couldn't cancel
something I didn't create, (which wasn't the case).

I'm glad you brought my error and infraction of protocol to public
attention, you see, ignorant people like myself need to be made
examples of.

#   OK, I'm off my soapbox.  I feel much better now.

I'm so glad.  I suppose an e-mail message to you would have been
more appropriate, but I felt that a public acknowledgement [might]
be meaningful, it seems to have worked for you.  Have a nice day.

--
Ray E. Saddler III       |    __  __ __       __ |          UseNet
Boeing Aerospace         |   / / / //   //| //   | uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ray3rd