shell file descriptor programming (was: Unlinked temp files)

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Sun May 21 03:14:38 AEST 1989

In article <8494 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>That is, add a notation to the
>shell to set the close-on-exec flag when you want it.

Yes, this would be a good compromise, but the POSIX draft doesn't
have such notation.

>BTW, how does ksh know how far to go with
>its file-closing?  I don't recall seeing a handy way to find the
>highest allowable fd other than trying them all until you get an
>error.

The ksh configuration scripts determine how many file descriptors
your system supports (by running a test program which does dup()'s until
it fails) and creates a configuration header file which is used to
compile ksh.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com