Help with tar

Gregory N. Shapiro gshapiro at wpi.wpi.edu
Wed May 3 15:35:47 AEST 1989

I am trying to make a tape archive of a directory and a file using tar
on an Encore MultiMax.  The first part comes out successful:

tar c -C /usr1 gshapiro

That dumps everything in my directory to tape.  The second part is
where I have trouble.  I want to add to that archive a single file
(/usr/spool/mail/gshapiro).  I have tried the following with no luck:

tar r -C /usr/spool/mail gshapiro
tar r /usr/spool/mail/gshapiro
tar u -C /usr/spool/mail gshapiro
tar u /usr/spool/mail/gshapiro

Does anyone have any suggestions???

					Thanks,

						Greg

 Gregory Shapiro                                              Gregory Shapiro
 Worcester Polytechnic Institute              Worcester Polytechnic Institute
 GSHAPIRO at WPI.BITNET                                                 Box 1397
 GSHAPIRO at WPI.WPI.EDU (130.215.24.1)                       100 Institute Road
 GEnie: THE.CYCLOPS                            Worcester, Massachusetts 01609
 MacNet: GShapiro                                               United States