Bugs in the AT&T Toolchest program 'nmake'

Rich Salz rsalz at bbn.com
Thu May 25 07:22:03 AEST 1989

In <1122 at vsi.COM> friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
=Many seem to think the choice is:
=	as-is code  -vs-  commercially-supported code
=This is not the case ...
= your choice is:
=	as-is code  -vs-  not available at all

=Many of us believe that nmake will be a supported tool from AT&T in
=Sys V Release 4.0.

So the choice is "pay a little bit of money to alpha-test now something
that will be available later"?

People's gripes seem to be the following:
    If I buy a car and it turns out to be a lemon, I can return it; here I
    can't

    It's not as solid as people have been led to believe (for whatever reason)

    Better versions are available, but (unlike ksh) you can't get them
    from the toolchest, and you may not even be able to get them at all

/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz at uunet.uu.net.