Location of bad blocks

Dale Van Voorst voorst at wybbs.UUCP
Fri May 5 23:58:53 AEST 1989

Does a program exist that will tell you what file, if any, a bad block is
being used by, given one or all of the following: (head/cylinder/sector)?

If none is available, is it possible to write a C program that could figure
this out.  It wouldn't have to be speedy, just so it could do it.

I have had the situation arise several times lately where a hard disk
error occurs and needs to be logged out.  I think it would be EXTREMELY
useful if you could find out which file, if any, has been corrupted.
This would save having to restore any data from backup if the bad spot
was not in an area being used by a permanent file.

Before I started trying to figure out a program to give me this information
I thought I'd send it past everyone on the net.

Any file system guru's out there with some insight??

(I am using machines with both Xenix (Altos,SCO 2.2) and Unix System V (Altos))

Thanks for any input,
Dale Van Voorst
voorst at wybbs