shell file descriptor programming (was: Unlinked temp files)

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Mon May 22 05:23:01 AEST 1989

In article <1508 at murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au> kre at cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Elz) writes:

>Not that I really suppose that anything really badly breaks if the shell
>is misconfigured this way, but making this kind of information be a
>compiled in constant in any program is just asking for trouble.

The problem is that not all systems ksh runs on have a way of asking for
the maximum number of file descriptors at run time (like getdtablesize() ).

If you know of a portable way to do this (ie, one that works on BSD 4.x,
System V Release 1 through 4, POSIX, etc.), please let me know.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com