unlink safe before close?

Bob Lenk rml at hpfcdc.HP.COM
Thu May 25 07:10:46 AEST 1989

In article <1989May7.053222.21348 at utfyzx.uucp> harrison at utfyzx.uucp
(David Harrison) writes:

> This *should* work on all UNIX systems, so far as I know. It is a
> standard trick to automagically remove tmp files when the process
> dies.
> I also know for a fact that it does *not* work on an HP9000 Series
> 500 running HP-UX (System V.2), a fact which has pained me for a
> number of years.

What precisely is it that you find doesn't work about this on HP-UX
on the series 500?  An open file can be unlinked, the file descriptor
remains valid and usable, and the file is actually removed when there
are no longer any links or open file descriptors referring to it - just
like on any other implementation of UN*X.

		Bob Lenk
		hplabs!hpfcla!rml
		rml at hpfcla.hp.com