Pronouncing hex numbers (you really don't want to think about it)

Roger Gonzalez rg at uunet!unhd
Tue Nov 21 01:48:27 AEST 1989

We tried to come up with a nifty scheme for hex pronunciations
(we have to verbalize 32 bit addresses far too often) and got
ourselves hopelessly confused:

(Paraphrased history - apologies to Steve and Dave)

Steve: It's simple.. in decimal, each digit is based on the name of the
       number 10^x.  Just do the same for hex..
Roger: ..ok.  16^x gives you 16, 256, 4096.. oh shit.  We're assuming decimal
       when we even *say* 4096 (four THOUSAND etc)...
Steve: Fine.  So until we figure this out, we don't SAY the number.. list the
       digits like we do in hex; four-oh-nine-six.
Roger: So we need to come up with words for 'two-five-six' and
       'four-oh-nine-six'.  I think we need to start lower, and even figure
       out how to count in hex.  'c, d, e, f, foo'.  Yuck.
Steve: Hmm.  Maybe we should use 'ten' just like in decimal.. after all,
       there are no more 'tens' or 'hundreds', so we wouldn't be stomping
       on anything. 'c, d, e, f, ten, eleven, etc'.
Roger: I don't like it.  What is there to differentiate between hex and
       decimal?  If there were no letter-digits then it would be just the
       same.
Steve: <silence>
Roger: What's the prefix for 16?  It isn't hex, that's six.  We need to make
       up new words, maybe that'll help.
Dave:  20 is dodeca.  2 decas, or basically, 2 tens.
Roger: Fuckstick.  Is sixteen's prefix a decimal biased conglomeration as well?
Dave:  I think sixteen is hexadeca.  Six plus ten.  Hex by itself is six.
       You software weenies can't even keep your own acronyms straight.  Yeesh.
<brief rational discussion about how solder jockeys are as bright as avacados>
Steve: I think I'll go do some work.  I'm getting a headache.
Dave:  Programmers doing work? Now *there's* a thought.  You should try <MMPH!>
<hardware infiltrator gently removed from our lab>

Steve: Where's that note Paul wrote about how to get the IMON prompt on
       the 3201?
Roger: Right here.  Type RS ffff7b91, and then..
Steve: Hold on..
Roger: Effly-eff limmion, eff launder effly-eff lousand, bee launder ninely-one.
Steve: <burp!> wait.. ninety-one.
Roger: NineLY. Now <CR>. Now type seven lousand, two launder beely-three.
Steve: I hate it.  List the fucking digits, already.
Roger: <sigh> Seven-two-bee-three.

And so it stands.  I like using 'ly' instead of 'ty', but the names for
10/16, 100/256, 1000/4096, etc need some work.

I think I'll stop, before bandwidth tightwads start breathing down my keyboard.

-Roger

--
UUCP:   unhd!rg at cs.utexas.edu | USPS: Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
BITNET: r_gonzalez at unhh    |       University of New Hampshire