Indirect system call (WARNING)

Larry McVoy lm at snafu.Sun.COM
Sun Nov 26 05:48:06 AEST 1989

There has been some discussion of the use of syscall() on this group.  Just a
fair warning to budding hackers - if my memory servers me correctly there are
times when it won't work.  In particular, syscall returns an int and if you
are calling a syscall that sends out stuff in more than one register (see
below) it won't work.  No, I don't have a list of stuff that fails, but you
should be able to look at the man pages and figure it out.

--larry

[From Sun's syscall man page:
BUGS
     There is no way to simulate system calls such  as  pipe(2V),
     which  return  values in register d1 on Sun-3 and Sun-4 sys-
     tems or in register %edx on Sun386i systems.
]

	 What I say is my opinion.  I am not paid to speak for Sun.

Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems                          ...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com