what should go into a security-checking shell script?

robert... rhare at carina.unm.edu
Sat Nov 11 13:32:43 AEST 1989

In article <21399 at adm.BRL.MIL> Kemp at DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>Jim Magee writes:
> > Dont forget to double check the mount points before doing this.
> > More than once I have seen people mount NFS filesystems over
> > directories just to hide their version of setuid-root shell
> > underneath the mount point.

A neat way to check under NFS file systems for files when your can't afford
to umount the filesystem on the local host.

For example:

Host A has /usr/local mounted from Host B

You want to check under /usr/local on host a for hidden files.  You
can use:

mount /usr at hosta /mnt

Then check in /mnt/local for hidden files.  The files from then NFS mount
will not show up.

Just a cute trick.  If there is an easier way to do this other than reading
the raw disk device please let me know.

Robert Hare
rhare at ariel.unm.edu